CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Family

I love my family. Both sides. Well, all 3 sides, really. My Erie, PA family, my DuBois,PA family, and my inlaws. Because my parents divorced when I was younger…I have spent my life bouncing around, taking turns during holidays, and trying to get my family fix and keeping it fair as much as I can.

Then I go to college. In Ohio. This keeping-visits-even-thing just got a bit harder with distance involved. But as long as Kelly and I ended up at the same 'place'’ for each holiday and visit…all was grand. At least I still had a nice break during the holidays!

Then God decided to 'plant' me in Ohio…never to make Pennsylvania my hometown again. I found a body of believers...close friends that made up for my far-away family...family that was getting used to seeing their Ohio daughter/sister less and less often.

Then comes marriage. Who knew what this would do visiting and schedules. Especially with acquiring a stepdaughter, who has her own bouncing around between families for us to manage. Now things can no longer be planned as to whether they are 'fair' or 'even' or according to 'what we did last year'. Things just happen. What can be arranged, done, IF we have time off left.

Family, blood relatives, are meant to be close. In heart, and location. Sometimes I think our information/technology age has done family-ties a disservice. Other times, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Either way, distance can be hard. I was reminded of this recently when my Grandpa passed away. I have no time left, neither does my husband...family is far away…and I couldn't make it in for the funeral. Everyone obviously understood...but those longings, feelings, sadness was still there. A long-distance hug would have done the trick especially after reading my sisters' account of the weekend.



What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life - to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories. ~George Eliot

1 whatevers:

Anonymous said...

I love and respect you immensely...distance will never change that!!