CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The magic of a chocolatier...

Being one of the hugest Johnny Depp fan's out there, I've been very curious about his role as Willie Wonka. Who better to see it with than Ralph, a fellow film-critic and great friend. So, Phil and I hooked up with Ralph and Stacie to partake of this chocolatey treat. While in line to grab out tix, I glanced behind us, then whispered to Phil "hey, isn't the couple behind us the SAME couple that was behind us when we played put-putt the other weekend?" He glanced back and agreed...and as we were walking in the doorway Phil asked them if they were behind us at put-putt. To which they laughed and said they were thinking the same thing. Ironically, they had just bought tickets for the same movie at the same time as we did. Hmm....interesting...

But before we could grab our refreshments and then our seats, I was approached by a guy with a clipboard asking if I was between the ages of 25-30. Replying with a ‘yes’, he said that I was in the perfect range to preview a movie clip, and assured me it would take about 5 minutes. Well, 10 minutes later I emerged from the black curtained area, after watching what seemed to be a lame-story-line-suspense-thriller called “Red Eye” (if I remember correctly). I had to answer a lot of short answer questions, and the guy typed much too slowly for my liking. Maybe a dollar-theatre flick for me…maybe. Then again…

Back to Wonka-land…. If you go into this movie realizing that Johnny is again playing an eccentric role, with a twist of weird, and you know it’s a Tim Burton film with a twist of odd, and try not to parallel it with the Gene Wilder version…you will have no problems. This version gave much more background to the characters, which was a nice peak into why they are the way they are. Most of the set was just amazing. Some of Wonka’s mannerism were painfully strange, but made the 4 of us laugh on more than one occasion. The oompa-loompas were entertaining. I think each character was type-cast perfectly! From the lovably sweet to the outrageously rotten. When it comes down to it, I was glad I saw it, and would see it again. Maybe I’m a sucker for the strange, who knows…

0 whatevers: